Monday 13 March 2017

Little Roy

Rum Shack Glasgow 22 January 2016

As a long-standing member of the Scottish Benevolent Society for Veteran Jamaican Artists and Musicians, I am always happy to show my appreciation for reggae artists whenever they are in the vicinity. So when I heard Little Roy was coming to ton, the man who gave us the classic anthem‘Tribal War’, which so encapsulated the situation in Jamaica in 1975, and still relevant all over the word today (although I must admit it only came to my attention from the Buju Banton version in 1993) and the number two all-time greatest reggae song about Christopher Columbus, I did not hesitate to get myself a ticket, But I was a bit worried the turn-out might be a little thin for a man described by i-Tunes as ‘little known outside reggae’s deep roots circles’, especially on a cold dark January night before payday. So when I noticed more cars than usual parked in the surrounding streets, roadblocks, sirens, helicopters in the air, people milling about and spilling out onto the Pollokshaws Road, I thought to myself “Hullo, wha’gwan on here then?” The promoters had obviously done a very good job.

The Rum Shack was jam-packed, Bass Warrior sound was in full session with Earl ‘Yeah-Yeah’ Gateshead special guest selector throwing down some righteous classics for an eager crowd, skanking and buzzing with excitement. I had to reconsider my position as Glasgow’s resident reggae reviewer and novelist, as not for the first time my ignorance of the extent of the knowledge and appeal of reggae amongst the musical connoisseurs of this city left me gobsmacked. He took the stage to a great reception, and started with the evergreen Stevie Wonder classic, ‘Yesterme, Yesteryou Yesterday’ also done famously in reggae by the late great John Holt, but my research tells me done first by Little Roy. He warmed up, took off his coat and stepped up the pace, launching into solid roots anthem ‘Prophecy’ which I had no idea was one of his, having been familiar with the Freddie McGregor version from the eighties, and the aforementioned classics. He also gave us ‘Children Children’ and ‘Right Now’ from his current EP (available on Amazon, i-Tunes etc) which showed he has not lost his talents for song writing and topical conscious lyrics that perfectly match his plaintive, slightly husky voice. Then he asked if there any fans of Nirvana in the place, and everything went mad. So that Battle for Seattle album was quite popular then? I’m not too familiar with his versions or the originals, but it seems obvious this was so much more than a novelty gimmick; he has crafted an enduring powerful interpretation of the songs that people love in their own right, blending genres and bringing reggae to a wider audience. Respect to everyone who turned out and made Little Roy so welcome, you’re in deep; membership cards are in the post. One love!

No comments:

Post a Comment