Monday 13 March 2017

Johnny Clarke

Rum Shack, Glasgow 1st April 2016

Johnny Clarke is another of those reggae legends held in high esteem by true aficionados but somewhat neglected by Johnny-come-latelys like myself. Voted Jamaican singer of the year in 1975 and 1976, the golden years of reggae music as the man himself put it, when to be honest I was mostly listening to The Wombles. He wasn’t even my favourite reggae Johnny, to be frank that was Mr Osborne, but after Friday night at the Rum Shack I now realise what all the fuss is about and I am going to have to familiarise myself with his extensive back catalogue. Once again, the size of the crowd packing out the Rum Shack was evidence of the extent of his popularity and how fondly he is remembered by the Glasgow roots massive. Bass Warrior laid the foundations and then proceeded to make them tremble with mighty basslines, throwing down riddims from King Tubby, Bunny Lee and the like, which have become so inextricably linked with the voice of Johnny Clarke drifting in and out of the dub. He took the microphone and began to reel off hit after hit, mixing up his versions of anthems such as the Abyssinians’ ‘Declaration of Rights’ with his own equally revered compositions, ‘King of the Arena’, ‘Enter Into His Gates’, ‘Roots Natty Congo’ and many more. These were now beginning to ring bells as I realise I have heard a lot more Johnny Clarke than I thought, as no roots reggae compilation from the golden era is complete without his contribution, many have been revisited by other reggae artists. Some of his songs have become more famous in their often uncredited dub incarnations, featuring snatches of his vocals drifting into my consciousness. His voice is still smooth in a lilting youthful tone, and his style laid-back, peppering his songs with casual conversation for the audience, reminding us of his deeply held Rastafari faith. He revealed his African roots, letting fly his floor-sweeping dreadlocks, and gave us more of his classics, such as ‘None Shall Escape the Judgement’, ‘Every Knee Shall Bow’ and ‘Move Out of Babylon’. A brief break was followed by the rousing ‘Rock With Me’ which cannot fail to get everyone dancing. I love the Nerious Joseph/Winsome version as it lends itself well to the duet but Johnny’s version made me search out who did the original and it was Delano Stewart which is an absolute rock steady belter I can’t believe I didn’t know it. That’s it I am going back to reggae school, starting on Monday with Johnny Clarke’s discography. One love!

No comments:

Post a Comment